Mock meat?
So, I've increasingly tried to explore my culinary horizons by checking out vegetarian recipies on the net. I am especially appreciative of Indian cuisine at the moment, since it has had by far the longest tradition of vegetarianism. So far my journey has been quite pleasant, except for one thing: continual references on overseas sites to mock meat.
See, here in New Zealand, there are very few vegetarians, and I have yet to find a can of soy mock meat product in the supermarket. TVP is quite a new experience for me. The thing I don't really understand is, why would you want to even go there? By eating false meat you are simply continuing the stereotype that meat is the norm. So much so that we should try and stay true to meat even when we've sworn off it. Absurd!
Of course, not everyone is an ethical vegetarian, and I did start my crusade because of environmental concerns, but seriously - why go there? Rather than sticking with what you know, try something else. Veges are much cheaper than other products, are healthier and leave less of an ecological footprint. Mockmeat is like a throwback to colonial times.
Image: Copyright Juni.
1 Comments:
I completely agree re mock meat, I mean do monks use inflatable sex dolls?
the fake bacon has got to be the worse
Post a Comment
<< Home