Esperanto
Every so often I get attached to a cause. Right now I am for two things, ending world poverty and learning Esperanto. I know you're either laughing or looking slightly confused by the second one, but I think it's really worthwhile. The truth is, Esperanto really does do what it's meant to. It's an easy to learn language that puts everyone on an equal footing.
If you speak Esperanto, or would like to learn - send me an email. It really is a fantastic thing to do. It's a really nice sounding langauge, and there's lots of evidence to suggest that it radically improves your other language abilities. Go forth communicate equally with others!
7 Comments:
Hi Chris, thanks for your comments.
I see the problems you raise as a reflection that Esperanto is represented by a small, hard-core group of supporters, the fact that Esperanto fluent speakers often become very involved with the political cause and the Euro-centric roots of the language.
In essense, Esperantists do seem to have an inferority complex. They fight so hard to be heard, that they will bulldoze others with differing opinions.
The European bias I find an inevitable, unfortunate consequence of the realities of linguistic history. Esperanto was created in Europe, therefore will bias Europeans.
I do understand that every second language helps to learn a third - but other second languages are harder to learn. Therefore, Esperanto is a better choice for a second, if one is wanting to learn them.
In regard to language diversity. I defend Esperantists wishing to only speak Esperanto at Congresses. I agree with the thought that the Congresses are the pargdigm of Esperanto speaking.
[Will comment further when I have time.]
Actually, the arguement that Esperanto trying to become an international language and thereby suppressing language diversity can be applied to English as well. Especially if you apply that to American English speakers. Many americans, indeed many people in the world, believe English is the interenational language (and in some ways it is) and, by trying to use, and perhaps even trying to force its use (though I donno of any evidence that this is being done), does the same effect as Esperanto. However, I believe the point of Esperanto being pressed as an international language is more the idea that it is a nation-free language, even if it has a Euro-centric/indo-european base. Considering the man who made it was European, this isn't surprising, since his experience was probably mostly based on European langauges anyway. And, at that time, the culture also supported the idea that European languages were more relevant. Of course we've, hopefully, grown out of that whole idea. Not being in the community in such full force as others, perhaps I don't have a full view of what exactly is going on. But through my limited experience and from a somewhat outside view, I think it's really more an issue of what perspective you wish to view from.
[original comment cont.]
Of course, if everyone who communicates in their native tongue with other Esperantists is labelled a "krokodilado" - this will lead to trouble down the track. If Esperanto is the only language permitted to be spoken, it will undoubtably buldoze other languages. But I think this is a symptom of Esperanto's inferiority complex. It needs to assert its identity and purpose, and will fight hard to do so.
But I doubt that minority languages are being harmed by the usage of Esperanto, especially considering the influence of languages such as English, Mandarin and Spanish. The threat of losing minority regional languages is a very large one in a globalised world.
Hi Caol, interesting discussion you raise.
From my friends who study linguistics, and my own time spent in Germany, I have the feeling that English really is taking over the world. It's quite unfortunate. English is much harder to learn than Esperanto. Esperanto seems to be the "Let's imagine a better world" language. I think that's what Chris is warning us against. Some people are so intent on this goal that they lose sight of reality.
As is anything else, i don't necessarily think it's a situation peculiar to Esperanto's scene, or even to English for that matter. I know that during imperial times, the French loved to force French upon everyone. The effect's the same I suppose, even if the goal, or supposed goal, is different (spreading your culture as opposed to being culture neutral). Hopefully that made some sense and wasn't redundant.
I agree. It's a fact that all large languages today had large armies behind them. Mandarin, Castillian (Spanish), French, English and before those there was Latin.
The difference is now that speakers of languages do not intend to set their language upon others - but this occurs because of dominance in other areas.
I have found a good anti-Esperanto website actually. http://www.xibalba.demon.co.uk/jbr/ranto/ goes into quite a bit of detail.
I must admit that I find the -ino suffix to be a little disheartening. I'm as close to a male feminist as you can get.
Still, I'm really enjoying learning the language. It's quite neat. Esperantists are quite a close nit community as well, should be good when I travel back to Europe in a few years!
Post a Comment
<< Home