Feminism
I really like feminism. I'm really surprised, now that I spend a little while thinking about it, why it took so long to realise that our whole society was built by and for men. Seriously, guys - you don't think we could have associated with the other half of the population and seen that things weren't all bad. Now, I know that it was medical fact that women were inferior to men, but wouldn't that illustrate that perhaps something had gone amiss? Obviously not. Anyway, I'm also equally astonished at how quickly it is changing. I mean, it really only took about 200 years or so for the whole of society to change its (overt) views, which is a start. Plus, most of the action was done in two decades, not long passed.
I hate how feminism has now become a bad/uncool term. Although I kinda giggle about it in my boyish moments, I don't quite get that lesbian, man-hating, militant, separatist feminism began to represent the whole movement. It just pisses me off that women are actually distancing themselves because of this association. Don't you realise, ladies,* that you are playing into the hands of the oppressor. Well, I suppose that's where it comes from. There are few oppressors anymore. Maybe feminism has had its turn? No way! That means it's working, not that it's a bad idea. Part of the problem is that no one realises the way things are. Our society is "normal" and "right". Gotta love scare quotes.
People forget that the job isn't over. I don't suppose it can ever be over. Any relationship will have an inbalance in power. I think that opponents of feminism will sometimes cite this as meaning, we've done all we need to do, anything more and we'll tip the scales. But I don't see how you can infer from "there will always be an inbalance in power" to mean that we shouldn't try to minimise that inbalance. The equilibrium should be close as it possibly can get to equality.
I suppose the next question to ask is, where are women still opressed by society? Haven't enough barriers been removed so that it's up to individuals themselves to choose their own fate? My answer to that question is that the problem now lies with the questioners. As soon as you ask that question with a dismissive tone of voice, you are really dening those weaker (because of their position that society has granted them) than you from prospering. If you need to ask, haven't we done enough? Then you are really saying, I can't be bothered understanding your point of view, I like how things are now, therefore things are right how they are now.
*Sorry - couldn't resist. (Dont get the joke? You need to read more feminist critiques)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home