Evaluate: Israel + Gaza = Violence
While scrolling through some of the 2000 or so websites that are commenting on the Gaza pullout, I found the Christian Science Monitor. I thought I would include it, because it's not often in New Zealand that you get content from an explicitly Christian site, http://www.csmonitor.com/.
The article begins like most others. It is mentioned that there is anxiety on both sides of the Palestinian/Israeli divide. Everyday Israelis are concerned about security, Palestinians worried about their poor quality of life. Parallels are then made with the apartheid regime in South Africa. The Monitor shows that although there was a strong possibility of civil war in 1994 South Africa, that did not occur. Therefore, the pullout will not bring about civil war in Gaza.
So far so good. It seems to be almost a tautology that when a government stops oppressing its people, they will not be turned to violence. What I criticise is one of the later claims that the author makes:
Certainly God wouldn't help the South Africans and then turn His back on
the Middle East. What kind of God would do that? A lazy God? A forgetful God? A
mean God?
"Is violence inevitable in Gaza?" Christian Science
Monitor, 15 August 05. http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0815/p18s01-hfcs.html
If the Gaza pullout fails, then does this mean that God is either lazy, forgetful or mean? Although I do not have a problem with religious interpretations per se, I think that this one is quite overly ambitious.
Gaza .
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home