Sunday, August 14, 2005

Void



I feel like I am trapped. My mind is so filled with clutter that nothing productive comes out. Fuck. What's with that? It's a strange feeling being trapped inside your own head. I often find myself reading the news on the web, only to find that after two hours I'm now reading about the history of the political idea of the third person mentioned in the seventh article I read. No fair.

I wish I could just be disinterested about things. My mind sparks around, thinking about possiblities. Last night I spent nealy an hour considering the implications of Freenet (http://freenetproject.org/). Freenet is a network inside the internet that makes any information free to the web, and the accessors (as well as the distributors) are not disclosed, probably even from spy agencies.* The idea is, you donate space on your harddrive and the software will upload things to your diskspace. You can't find out what's there. It's completely random, to prevent anyone, and especially any govenment, from stopping it. That's great for freedom of expression in China, but also great for child pornographers.

In the end, I was going to sign up. Mainly because I underestimated the potential pitfalls. The more that I think about freespeech (I'm doing a grad class looking into it), the less fond of it I am. Consider this site (http://www.fortliberty.org/) that I stumbled upon when searching for the Anarchist Cookbook, in order to think of reasons why limiting free speech might be okay. Forgetting the potential harm it may cause, there is an article in there that shows you how to make weapons grade blackpowder. (http://www.fortliberty.org/military-library/how-to-make-black-powder-and-other-explosives.shtml) Ahh the pursuit of happiness! Not. God I can't stand the way the Constitution (or, its modern interpretation) is the immediate rebuttal for any argument. There were reasons why the Constitution was drafted, investigate those rather than using the Consitution as a document that outlines incorrgible truths!

*One big downside - you can't search what's on Freenet, you need people to tell you the address of things they upload. So, I'm sure spy agencies can nab you if are sending emails out promoting car bombings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home