Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Dolce et decorum est pro patria mori


Член военного совета 3-го Белорусского фронта В. Е. Макаров, командующий фронтом А. М. Василевский, начальник штаба А. П. Покровский. Февраль 1945 года.

I often wonder why those engaged in war see themselves as morally exempt. Sure, there's political realism, but that's an excuse for a state, not individuals. People should have to make their own choices. I suppose the natural reaction is to say that they simply don't dig morality. It's created by people for people. Often, they will say something like it's created by religious institutions to control and surpress political opponents.

But, if soldiers consider themselves morally exempt, i.e. they are justified in killing others, because morality doesn't exist, then they have a big problem. If morality doesn't exist, then dying for one's country isn't an honourable thing to do.

Note: I have no idea what Aleksandr Vasilevsky's personal moral views were.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home