Sunday, August 14, 2005

Angry: Kass = Yuck

I really don't like the Chairman of the President's Council on Bioethics. This isn't based on a personal dislike, but with the fact that I completely disagree with his views on biotechnology. Why is he the Chairman!!!?!? Basically, in an article published by the New Republic in 1997, he argues that we should ban cloning.

That in itself is all well and good, but it's just the way he goes about it is so fustrating. His article is available at http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/medical_ethics/me0006.html. The argument goes as such.

1) We are disgusted by the idea of human cloning. It's yuck!
2) We should ban cloning.

The problem with this, is that it oges against any theory of morality or justice out there. Of course, it may seem to be right on the face of it, but seriously. People are disgusted by a whole lot of things! Will banning them too solve the problem?

Basically, in an essay that I am finishing at the moment, I argue 2 things. 1) that our gut reaction/our emotional reaction is a bad thing to base moral judgements on 2) even if it was, that would not justify a ban on cloning. To justify a ban, we need at least some independent reasons - not just the way we feel about it.

Imagine that policy being implemented about other things. Oh, I don't like something you are doing, therefore it's wrong, therefore you're wrong, therefore we may use legal sanction against you. That's a bit cookoo. I don't think any nation where there is opposing views (which seems like every nation) could be formed upon that basis.

Anyway. Kass's argument is yuck. I'm so angry that his views are taken seriously. Well, to be fair - he is much more intelligent than I. I'm just a lowly grad student.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home