Intelligent Design
Intelligent Design may begin to be taught in New Zealand schools.
Before beginning this rantish piece, I should declare my allegiances. I find the teaching creationism in general and intelligent design theory particular wrong. I don't agree with the "well, let's just put the idea out there - and let the best idea win." I don't think the marketplace of ideas operates as an ideal free market economy. And, if it did, I don't think high-school kids should be the ones that are first exposed to it. Scientists must be won over by the idea before it enters the science class room. Anyway, I digress.
I am more upset about the way Focus on Family has tried to get things into schools. Rather than going through the Ministry of Education and through a proper vetting system, they sent information packs straight to schools. This to me, seems as if they are trying to slip under the news headlines. "Quick! It's election time, if we do something controversial now, it wont get noticed!" Now, I'm I know that principals, heads of departments, teachers and boards of trustees still have to approve, and finally teach the stuff. And I know they're not stupid. But, I doubt Focus on Family would have justified their move of sending 500 Intelligent Design packs out, unless they thought someone would teach it.
Director of Focus on Family Wayne Mulqueen says that they "do not want to push the whole creationist debate." But, if that were true, he wouldn't have approved sending the packs out! He also seems to admit that he has tried to fly under the radar, as they are sending the information out "in a low-key way."
These two comments suggest to me that New Zealand has to be vigilant, with rationality at hand, to counter this (well intentioned) threat.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home